Consumers are becoming increasingly interested in eco-friendly options, and businesses are taking notice. Meta Foresight, formerly Facebook IQ, reports that after 2020, American consumers are 1.3 times more likely to pay higher prices for sustainable products. If you’re looking to make your eCommerce company more eco-friendly, here are five strategies to consider:
- Rethink your returns policy. Returns can be inconvenient and costly for businesses, but a good returns policy can help you retain customers. To make your returns policy more eco-friendly, consider not making it too easy for customers to return items, offering omnichannel return options such as local drop-off points, and improving product descriptions to reduce the need for returns.
- Use only essential packaging. Governments around the world are implementing stricter packaging regulations, and simple changes to your packaging methods can help you meet those rules while also being more environmentally friendly. Try to reduce single-use packaging and plastic bubble wrap, and consider using shredded cardboard for internal packing instead.
- Evaluate your vendor choices. Whenever possible, try to purchase recycled or recyclable goods and source raw materials or inventory locally rather than from overseas. Buying in bulk can also reduce transportation emissions.
- Resell returned goods. Returns that are still usable but no longer in their original condition can often be sold at a discounted price. Accurately describe these items and offer them for sale to increase revenue and reduce waste.
- Update your brand identity. Communicating your commitment to sustainability can help you stand out in the ecommerce market. Update your website’s About Us page to describe your sustainability policies and how they benefit customers. Share this information on social media and through email and blog posts, and consider adding a slogan such as “Working towards an eco-friendly future” to product descriptions.
It’s important to avoid greenwashing, or making false claims about your eco-friendly efforts. Be honest and transparent about your sustainability efforts, and make sure you can back up any claims you make.
By implementing these strategies, you can make your ecommerce company more sustainable and appealing to eco-conscious consumers.